About Me

My photo
Accidentally tripped, fell, and created this blog.

Monday, October 8, 2012

Huevos Rancheros

 
This isn't my first, and will not be my last, blog post about huevos rancheros.  I LOVE them so much!  For me this breakfast dish takes me back to my childhood days. On Sundays mom would always make fried eggs, place them over a warm tortilla, and add freshly grilled salsa over them.  It was our Sunday thing and we loved it. 
 
When I first moved out on my own I bought a small cheap pan at my local latino store.  To my delight there was a recipe for huevos rancheros that came with the pan.  Hooray!  This was my first attempt ever at cooking from scratch.  It came out so good it became my favorite breakfast item.  It's slightly different than how mom made them (egg & tortilla are fried together) but as yummy as ever!
 
The recipe feeds four very hungry people. I usually follow the salsa instructions and save the extra salsa for another day.  I'm not sure if I posted the recipe before but just in case here it goes:
 
 
Ingredients -
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 green pepper, finely chopped (I change it up and often use different peppers like poblano)
1/2 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (I change it up here too with serrano)
1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, drained (you can also use fresh tomatoes)
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper
8 large eggs
4 corn tortillas
 
Make salsa by softening onions, green peppers, and jalapeno peppers in a medium saucepan on medium heat for about 3 - 4 minutes.  Add drained tomatoes, paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper and allow to simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes.  Set aside.
 
Spray some non-stick spray on both sides of a tortilla and place it in another small pan on medium-low heat.  Cook the first side of the tortilla for about 3 minutes, flip, and carefully add two eggs on top of the tortilla.  Place two heaping tablespoons of salsa between the two eggs, cover, and bring heat to low.  Allow eggs to cook between 3-4 minutes, remove from heat and serve. 
 
Enjoy!
 
xoxo....

No comments:

Post a Comment